Michael,

I interrupted the sage build during the construction of gmp, went to
the spkg/build/gmp-4.2.2/src directory and diff-ed the configure file
against the configure file that I obtained from a direct download of
gmp-4.2.2

I discovered that while the gmp spkg claims to be 4.2.2, the configure
script is from gmp-4.2.1 and is missing a number of items that relate
to the definition of the ABI environment variable, particularly for
x86_64 systems.  Could it be that someone inadvertently packaged
gmp-4.2.1?

I saw in an earlier post from WIlliam Stein that the spkg is just a
compressed tar file, but when I looked at the directory structure of
the gmp-4.4.2 from the sage-3.0.3 package, it had some added
directories (e.g., patch) and the src directory seemed to contain the
libgmp-4.2.2 contents.  Can I try to build my own spkg for gmp-4.2.2?

The initialization problem seems to be coming from an assert inside
some libgmp code, so the problem may end up just being with libgmp.
If there are any headers from libgmp that were used in the build of
subsequent sage objects, that might explain the abort that I see when
sage initializes.

I'll give sage-3.0.4.alpha1 a go and see what happens.  And I'll also
try to build my own gmp-4.2.2 spkg and see how that goes.

John Bussoletti