On Jun 24, 6:59 pm, JohnBussoletti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael,

Hi John,

> I interrupted the sage build during the construction of gmp, went to
> the spkg/build/gmp-4.2.2/src directory and diff-ed the configure file
> against the configure file that I obtained from a direct download of
> gmp-4.2.2
>
> I discovered that while the gmp spkg claims to be 4.2.2, the configure
> script is from gmp-4.2.1 and is missing a number of items that relate
> to the definition of the ABI environment variable, particularly for
> x86_64 systems.  Could it be that someone inadvertently packaged
> gmp-4.2.1?

Nope, the confiure script in patches is old and during the update that
was not fixed.

> I saw in an earlier post from WIlliam Stein that the spkg is just a
> compressed tar file, but when I looked at the directory structure of
> the gmp-4.4.2 from the sage-3.0.3 package, it had some added
> directories (e.g., patch) and the src directory seemed to contain the
> libgmp-4.2.2 contents.  Can I try to build my own spkg for gmp-4.2.2?

Sure, all you need is a script called spkg-install that builds the
package and install is into $SAGE_LOCAL.

> The initialization problem seems to be coming from an assert inside
> some libgmp code, so the problem may end up just being with libgmp.
> If there are any headers from libgmp that were used in the build of
> subsequent sage objects, that might explain the abort that I see when
> sage initializes.

Yes, I suspected something similar.

> I'll give sage-3.0.4.alpha1 a go and see what happens.  And I'll also
> try to build my own gmp-4.2.2 spkg and see how that goes.
>
> John Bussoletti

Thanks for poking around :)

As is I am working on two blockers, i.e.#3508 (GMP fixes) and #3486
(NTL with csh and gcc 4.3 broken) before releasing Sage 3.0.4.alpha1
and a couple more fixes I am currently merging and testing.

You can find details to the tickets at
for example. If you want a trac account just write me an email off
list.

Cheers,

Michael