William Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:51 PM, pong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I understand the issue. However, is there a way that I can retrieve
>> the worksheets that I have saved in server 2?
>
> Browse around in
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/was/sagenb/
>
> and grab the relevant worksheet.txt file.
>
> E.g., this directory has some of your worksheets:
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/was/sagenb/nb2/sage_notebook/worksheets/pong/
>
> You can then paste the worksheet.txt content into the notebook
> in edit mode.
>
> I wonder if we should have something like sagenb.org,
> but for which people have to request an account and provide
> credentials, and agree not to purposely attack the system?  I.e.,
> like we have with the trac system?   E.g., I would be happy
> to give pong an account on such a public server, but I would
> not give one to the person who crashed sage.math.

I think that would be a good idea.  However, I think one of the greatest
contributions of the free server was that it gave people with no
incentive to install Sage or start using it (and no incentive to email
someone and provide credentials) a chance to use Sage.  I think the
try-before-you-buy (or at least, before you invest time) is a very big
part of our marketing strategy, and really lets people know that we are
completely free and we're not kidding about being helpful and free.
I think not having a free server available for anyone to try is going to
hurt us (I think quite a bit) in the long run.

Here's one way to do things to satisfy this crowd, though.  In another
project, the OpenSourceCMS, there are installations of a huge number of
web CMS systems (content management systems, like Drupal, Moodle,
Wordpress, etc.)  They refresh their install (i.e., completely reset the
install) every 2 hours (I believe) and put a timer on their page that
shows a countdown until the two hours is up.  Then all systems are wiped
clean and reset and the timer starts again.  They give out admin and
user-level passwords to each CMS so people can try them out.  Here's the
example page for Drupal:
http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=1&catid=68

I used opensourcecms.com quite a bit when I was evaluating CMS systems
because it was a no-hassle, anonymous way of playing with systems.  It
didn't bother me that it was reset every 2 hours; in fact, I liked it
because I didn't have to worry about someone else messing up the system
(I just waited a few hours until the next refresh).  Can we do the same
thing for Sage?   Run it in a virtual server (even the current VMWare
one would do), and every day, or every few hours, reset it.  Curious
people can play around with Sage, and those that want more than a
temporary playground can then install it on their own or request an
account on William's server he mentions above.

Thanks,

Jason