Sorry Martin, I completely missed the second sage: prompt in your original
email.

It's very likely that the problem is due to sage -upgrade.  I don't know
enough about these things to give you better advice than "start over with a
fresh download of Sage", and you've mentioned that this might not be an
option for a while.  Hopefully someone else on this list will know some
magic to fix this.

Note, however, that sage -upgrade is *not* recommended practice, precisely
because this sort of problem keeps popping up over and over again.
The recommended way of getting a new version is downloading the new binaries
or source.

Good luck,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne --
Australia -- http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/~aghitza/