On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:52 PM, acardh wrote:

> Hi,
> Plotting an sphere is straightforward but I need help in how to draw
> points on the sphere. The sphere will represent the Earth and the
> points will be some geo-coordinates .
>
> Thanks!!!

This depends on how your points are given. I'm going to assume you
have latitude/longitude (in degrees), called phi and theta
respectively. Then one would draw the sphere via

sage: world = sphere((0,0,0), radius=1, color='blue')

Here I'm making 100 random cities.
sage: cities = [(ZZ.random_element(-180,180), ZZ.random_element
(-90,90)) for _ in range(100)]

Now I'll convert polar coordinates to regular xyz coordinates.
sage: t = RDF(pi/180)
sage: city_coords = [(cos(t*theta)*cos(t*phi), sin(t*theta)*cos
(t*phi), sin(t*phi)) for theta, phi in cities]

Now I'll plot them
sage: world + sum([point3d(v, color='red') for v in city_coords])

I could have, of course, done something more interesting than "points"
sage: world + sum([tetrahedron(size=.1, color='yellow').translate(v)
for v in city_coords])

- Robert