Dear William,

On Nov 18, 5:26 pm, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Which is one more reason to consider it a mis-feature.  I had no
> clue when I wrote that code whether # optional or putting those three
> words in would turn out to be the way to go.  In retrospect, # optional is,
> since generally speaking, "explicit is better than implicit".

Here I disagree, for the following reason.

I have many examples for a class that depends on SmallGroups library
being installed.
With the "requires optional package" feature, I can turn off all
examples at once.

Am I right that it'd be needed to put "# optional" after each input
line? Then, I think the "requires optional package" really is a
feature, not a misfeature.

Similar things hold with the "# long time" feature: It switches off
one input line (unless -long is used), but it does not switch off the
lines that depend on it.
How painful if you have many lines of code that only take short time
but have to be commented # long time since they depend on one long
command from the very beginning of the example!

I think it would be nice to have a way to define a whole block of code
as "being long". E.g.
    sage: One_long_command # starting long example
    sage: many
    sage: short
    sage: commands  # ending long example
    sage: continuing
    sage: independent
    sage: computations

so that the first four lines (but not the last three) require sage -t -
long

Yours
    Simon