On Dec 2, 2008, at 4:00 PM, mabshoff wrote:

> That was discussed in the "Mathematica 7" thread and the conclusion
> was that PIL (the Python image library) could do much of that
> functionality. There is no reason not to include it per default in
> Sage, but so far no one has started the process of doing so. I guess
> it the momentum kind of died due to thanksgiving. If we merge PIL we
> should also first add libjpeg to Sage and also enable gd support for
> it. There is a ticket to do so, but it has gone a little stale. But
> with a little work it can be done quickly even in time for Sage 3.2.2
> or 3.3.

I know much of the manipulation could be done via PIL, but I
was thinking about the image as function parameter directly in the
notebook functionality. On a lower level, this would be translated into
a matrix the command takes, but on the Notebook level, this would mean
displaying the image as part of the command and supporting input of
the image (hopefully by drag and drop).

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey