On Dec 2, 2008, at 10:14 PM, Jason Grout wrote:

Tim Lahey wrote:
Hi,

The discussion of imaginary numbers reminded me of a
question I've had for some time. Is there a way to set
what's used for the imaginary unit? I often set it to
_j in Maple and I was wondering if there was any way to
do it in Sage.

Do you mean the variable that you use, or just how it is printed?

If it's the variable that you use, then you can just set it using normal
assignment:

sage: i = CC(I)

Now i is the CC i instead of the symbolic i.

Well, both actually. I'd prefer to use _j instead and have it
printed as that, because I'd like to use i (and I) for something
else.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey