On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Jason Grout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tim Lahey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks. I was kind of hoping for something less drastic,
>> but that works. In Maple there is just a variable you can
>> set which controls things, so you can do it on a per script
>> basis.
>>

> This is something that has come up before too.  I think it might make
> sense to make a module-level variable in the calculus file,
> sage.calculus.imaginary_i or something.  Set it by default to "I", but
> let people change it.  Then the repr function for I could just return
> that variable.  Then things won't be quite so invasive to change the
> printed representation.

It's also invasive, since either way, all code in all of sage that
prints "I" will print using what you change it to.  However, an
additional benefit to having a function like sage.calculus.imaginary_i
is that it will work even if (in fact, when) the "I" constant gets
rewritten in Cython, which would make changing the _repr_ function
impossible.

William