On Jan 13, 5:50 pm, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> Jason Grout wrote:

<SNIP>

> > I noticed that for my Sage server, each open worksheet took about 140MB
> > of RAM.  When I ran out of memory, the server froze and lots of errors
> > happened.  To me, it sounds like you probably ran out of memory if you
> > had 15 worksheets open simultaneously (which I would calculate would
> > need about 15*140=2100 MB of RAM).
>
> I should retract this statement.  I just measured it again and found
> that it took about 40MB per worksheet process.  To measure this, I
> started the sage server, created a new worksheet, and ran "1+1".  I then
> looked at the free memory reported at the top of top.  Then I created
> another new worksheet and ran "1+1", and checked the free memory again.
>   The free memory went down by about 45MB. Michael Abshoff says that
> that numbers sounds about right.  I don't know if I measured
> inaccurately before or if I just misremembered the number.  At any rate,
> with that number, it seems that 15 simultaneous worksheets would use a
> minimum of 15*45=675MB, which is still more than you allocated.  And as
> others point out, this is before the OS, the sage server, etc.

Note that a lot of that 45 MBs is a bunch of strings due to the online
help, i.e. if you look at the python heap while running Sage you will
discover that about 12 MB or so of that is the "online" help.

Another thing worth thinking about is forking the various Sage
notebook processes off a master process instead of starting new a new
python process for each one. That way on Linux for example with COW a
lot of the data and also code would be shared by all running
processes. forking either a fully working Sage session or at least
everything but twisted would certainly be a killer feature to
implement since it would allow much quicker worksheet startup as well
as insanely fast doctesting since we can skip the startup time of Sage
for each file. Gary Furnish has looked into doing this, but I am not
sure how far he got.

But maybe we want to take that discussion over to [sage-devel] since
we are getting far, far away form the original problem :)

> Jason

Cheers,

Michael