Dear Pierre, dear John,

John H Palmieri schrieb:
> On Jan 19, 6:28�am, Pierre <pierre.guil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Simon King does some group cohomology computations with Sage,
> but I don't know exactly how he does it.

Indeed. One of my plans is to enrich my results by Steenrod actions,
and to provide the cohomology rings in a Sage readable data base.

My approach for computing cohomology rings of p-groups is:
- use David Green's approach to compute minimal projective resolutions
- I wrote various Cython modules for Sage that compute the visible
ring structure degree by degree
- Use an improved version of Dave Benson's completeness criterion.

Our results:
- We can compute the cohomology of all groups of order 64 in a total
of less than 30 CPU-minutes.
- We computed the cohomology for all groups of order 128
- We computed all but 7 cohomology rings for 3-, 5- and 7-groups up to
order 625
- We computed the cohomology for the Sylow-2-subgroup of the Higman-
Sims group (verifying Carlson's computation)
- We were the first to compute the cohomology of the Sylow-2-subgroup
of the third Conway group

Our results are available at
  http://users.minet.uni-jena.de/~king/cohomology/

We plan to make a Sage package out of our programs.

And, Pierre, by the way, I did my PhD in Strasbourg at IRMA (my
advisor was Vladimir Turaev).

Cheers,
     Simon