pong wrote:
> A colleague of mine would like to produce some 3D animation (an
> illustration involving cones and spheres). He looked into SAGE and
> said it will be difficult compare to Mathematica and so he decided to
> use the latter.
>
> By reading this group, I understand one can render the images via
> tachyon then produce the animation by imagemagick. I just wonder if
> there is any update (easier way) to do this.

Jmol (our 3d graphic viewer) has some very nice animation capabilities.
  We haven't tapped those in Sage yet, though.  There are lots of demos
up online.  A quick Google search yields these, for example:

http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/animation/

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com:8100/legacy/college/boyer/0471661791/structure/jmol_intro/jmol.htm

http://www.umass.edu/molvis/martz/lectures/labmolgen/mj2.htm

http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch03/ch3-06.html

Basically, jmol has a scripting language that lets you animate things in
the image.

It would be cool if Sage could automatically write such an animation
script from some sort of Sage plot command...

Jason