On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Marco Streng <marco.str...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm doing a long computation in Sage and I'd like to be able to print
> some status information to the screen, such as the number of database
> entries that I have tested, or the total time spent on different parts
> of an algorithm.

I had the same problem, and I now use the "screen" command. It essentially
multiplexes a text terminal (which is useful for running Sage in the
background after you log off, or being able to view/control the process
remotely), but can also be used to create a long scrollback buffer or for
logging the screen output to a file.  The last is very handy, since then you
have a record of the commands inputted to Sage and the output.  Also, you
can set the delay for how often the log buffer is flushed.  Thus, if you
have a process that outputs just a small update periodically, you don't have
to wait until the disk buffers are flushed to see the latest output.

Bets wishes,
Stephen