On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:

> Dan Drake wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 at 01:58AM -0700, John Cremona wrote:
>>> I think I do understand what Armand is asking.  Let's see:
>>>
>>> Say I have been using Magma for half an hour.  I typed lots of stuff,
>>> including typos etc, and a whole lot of output has scrolled past.  Now
>>> I want to keep all the commands that I typed, put them in a file,
>>> sanitize them, ans use them later as a kind of script.  I can do that
>>> in Magma like this:
>>>
>> [...]
>>> Now I think that Armand wants an equivalent to %S.  Presumably the
>>> commands typed in will all be in a history file somewhere.
>>
>> On the command line, there's log_text, log_html, and log_dvi. They
>> record (mostly) what you type into the session.
>>

> I didn't know about these; these are really cool commands!
>
> Is there maybe any way that the log_* commands could have an option to
> also include output? (maybe even typeset output for the dvi one and
> jsmath output for the html one...)
>
> All three of the commands seemed to work for me.  I had some sort of
> error the first time I used log_dvi(), but it's worked every time since
> then.

I wrote those commands in 2006 at Sage Days 1 after seeing the first
(not so good)attempt by some people to make an IPython GUI...  In a
sense they are a predecessor to the notebook, especially log_html().
I haven't used them myself in a long time.  Dan -- thanks for fixing
bugs in them, since I know they had "issues" when I wrote them!

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics