It also disappears on page refresh/reload.  The "culprit" seems to be in
Cell.html(), which renders a cell as HTML, around line 1630 of cell.py:

        if 'hideall' in self.percent_directives():
            s = html_out
        else:
            s = html_in + introspect + html_out

I'm still confused about the purpose of %hideall.

Anyway, to get %hide to work, scroll down to Cell.html_in() and add
something like

            if 'hide' in self.percent_directives():
                return ''

to the "if do_print:" conditional.