On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Maurizio wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm willing to invest some of my time to understand if I can be able
> to do a step ahead with symbolic functions.
>
> How are special symbolic functions supposed to be defined? I am
> willing to experiment with delta of dirac function. This has some
> special properties (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function
> ), some of them are really useful but I don't know how to define them
> in a CAS like maxima or SAGE.
>
> I'm aware that it is already present in maxima, even though I don't
> think it is recognized by SAGE. I am wondering whether a viable
> approach could be to add to calculus.py a section similar to the one
> of Function_gamma, so that SAGE simply interfaces to maxima. I don't
> know if this is useful or not.
>
> Otherwise, I would be interested in knowing if this could be done with
> the new symbolic package. Burcin proved to be very helpful in showing
> me a simple way to define delta function by means of its values and he
> assigned it as being the derivative of heaviside function (defined in
> a sort of piecewise function):
>
> sage: heaviside(x).diff(x)
> dirac(x)

The derivative of the dirac delta shows up in solid mechanics, is that
defined at all?

I have major problems with Maple because its integration of Heaviside
functions is often wrong.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey