On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Flavio Coelho <fccoe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still don't understand why the solution you propose in the wiki is
> necessary.... Unless sage is passing (to the ppf function) something
> other than standard python's ints and floats. Is this the case?

Yes.

> I just tested the same code snippet in a %python cell (in a notebook)
> and it works as expected ( without the int()s and float()s).
>
> However, when I try to run it the same code in a module that is
> imported (in a %python cell) I get the error. I didn't expect that.
>
> I think that any code that runs in straight python should run on
> %python blocks, even imported code.
>
> I tried to run the same module via load instead of import, but load
> was trying to load from the ~/.sage directory instead of the directory
> where I started sage, (is this a bug?).

No.

> Also load also gave me a
> syntax error when gave it a path : "load somedir/test.py". Shouldn't
> load take full paths instead of only filenames?

Yes.  That definitely sounds like a bug.  Thanks for reporting it.

> Flávio
>I think it will be hard to convice the scipy folks that this is a bug
> since it runs perfectly in Python, and scipy is not supposed to handle
> foreign types anyway...

Bug or not, at some point either the scipy/numpy developers or the
Sage developers will absolutely have to modify both scipy and numpy to
fix this problem.    Either that will happen via them better
supporting other data types besides float/int, or we will have to
significantly patch the versions of numpy/scipy that we ship with
Sage.   One or the other solution will inevitably happen.

William

 -- William