Dear Robert,

On 1 Mai, 21:14, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> Is everything in a "pGroupCohomology" directory with an __init__.py
> file?

Yes (and please excuse that I wrote both to Cython-dev and Sage-
devel).

- In SAGE_LOCAL/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ I have a folder
pGroupCohomology.
- It contains __init__.py, mtx.so and some other .so
- When I wrote my original post, I accidentally had another copy of
mtx.so in the site-packages folder (not a subfolder). I removed it,
and now the pickling error is a bit different:
  PicklingError: Can't pickle mtx.MTX_unpickle_class: import of module
mtx failed

Explanation of the Pickling errors:
1 The module pGroupCohomology.mtx believes that it is simply mtx,
without being contained in a package.
2 Hence, when pickling, the MTX_unpickle_class is looked up in mtx
(not pGroupCohomology.mtx).
3 When there was an abandoned mtx.so in the site-packages, it was
possible to find mtx.MTX_unpickle_class, but of course it was not
identic with pGroupCohomology.mtx.MTX_unpickle_class --- this explains
the error message from my first post
4 Now, there is no mtx.so in the site-packages (only in a sub-folder).
Hence, looking up mtx.MTX_unpickle_class fails, therefore the new
error message.

Anyway. It seems the key problem is that the modules in the package
pGroupCohomology are unaware that they belong to a package. And I have
no clue why.

Cheers,
    Simon