On May 4, 2:16 am, chand sarat <chandcsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,

Hi,

> It is a fact that for a number of scientific packages, Ubuntu does offer
> fairly outdated packages:
> 1. Current Sage package: 3.4.1 and the version offered by Ubuntu 9.04 is
> Sage 3.0.5.

Help is on the way: Debian experimental should soon have Sage 4.0.x -
see http://wiki.sagemath.org/debian/sage-4.0.x-in-experimental - that
won't help Ubuntu 9.04, but I seriously doubt that either Debian or
Ubuntu will ever ship the current stable Sage release.

We provide binaries, but not debs for various Debian and Ubuntu
releases. But I don't see them being integrated in any clean way into
the system, i.e. if we provide Ubuntu deb packages they would install
into /opt and not use anything from the system.

> 2. Current Maxima package: 5.18. and the version offered by Ubuntu 9.04 is
> Maxima 5.13.

This isn't the problem of the Sage project and out of scope.

> 3. Current Texlive package: 2008 and the version offered by Ubuntu 9.04 is
> Texlive 2007.

That is not our concern and has nothing to do with Sage.

> It seems to be that Canonical's key focus is to provide a set of up to date
> packages including office packages (openoffice.org), web browser (firefox)
> etc. while the up-tpdateness of scientific packages are more volunteer
> dependent.

Well, complain to the Ubuntu people :)

> In the case of Maxima, Istvan Blahota
> (http://zeus.nyf.hu/~blahota/maxima/jaunty/) has compiled deb packages for
> Ubuntu 9.04 conforming to the the latest version of Maxima namely 5.18 for
> both i386 and amd64 architectures; moreover each of them has been compiled
> with both CLisp and SBCL.
> It would be great if someone from the Sage team can do the same for Ubuntu
> i.e. provide deb packages of the latest version of Sage for both i386 and
> amd64 architectures.

I would suggest you complain in the Maxima group to have them take a
stake into packaging current Maxima releases for Debian/Ubuntu. AFAIK
the Maxima maintainer for Debian isn't exactly underworked, so I am
sure he could use some help.

> Yours,
> C. Saratchand

Cheers,