On May 4, 2:51 am, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
> On 4 Kvě, 11:29, mabshoff <michael.absh...@mathematik.uni-dortmund.de>
> wrote:

Hi,

> > I would suggest you complain in the Maxima group to have them take a
> > stake into packaging current Maxima releases for Debian/Ubuntu. AFAIK
> > the Maxima maintainer for Debian isn't exactly underworked, so I am
> > sure he could use some help.
>
> Hello, not related to Sage, but if I remember correctly, newer Maxima
> is in Debian Sid (compiled with GCL). This Sid version is slower than
> 5.13 (with GCL also).

Do you have any idea why that is and how much slowdown there is? What
specifically is slower? Might this be due to the rather small RAM
footprint of the server?

The reason Sage did not upgrade to Maxima 5.17.x was due to various
new problems that cropped up in that Maxima release. I am not sure how
5.18.x fares, but AFAIK the current ecl release has test suite
failures due to disagreements about float behavior (according to the
emails I read on the Maxima list), but my memory could be wrong here.
In either case, if Maxima 5.18.1 does not pass its test suite with the
current ecl release Sage will not upgrade.

> New version can be compiled and installed using checkinstall also from
> sources easily (tested on debian with cmuml and clisp - again much
> slower than maxima 5.13 - tested on a very small server with 125 MB
> RAM)
>
> You can install this Sid package also into Lenny.
>
> see alsohttp://packages.debian.org/cs/sid/i386/maxima
>
> Robert

Cheers,

Michael