Having read a lot of posts about how the networking side of VMWare and
Sage should be set up I confess I'm quite confused - and still haven't
managed to get Sage running. So I wondered if I could get a few
initial questions out of the way and then ask how the networking
should look for the three scenarios in which I envisage using Sage.
First, some background questions:

1) When I open the VMWare Player and open the Sage_vmx within it and
then run the notebook command, I see lots of text scroll by including
a statement that I should open Firefox at a specific address. Yet most
(though not all) references I see to using sage refer to pointing my
browser at http://localhost:8000. So:

1.1) Do I always ignore the IP address and use the localhost address?

1.2) If I use the IP address do I still have to qualify it with port
8000?

1.3) And I don't get long to write the IP address down. How can I find
it once it's disappeared from the screen?

1.4) Do I run Firefox from Windows or inside the VMWare Player? (I'd
presumed the former but, as I can't get it to work, I thought it
bright to ask)

2) How do I know when to use an https://... URL?

3) If I want to use secure communications via an https://... URL how
do I set this up or is it in place automatically?

And now for my three scenarios. I envisage using Sage:
- on a standalone laptop, connected to no network
- on a LAN PC (such as the above laptop subsequently connected to the
netowrk by a wire or wirelessly)
- on a server accessible from the Internet to permit multiple remote
users access to Sage.

In each of these scenarios in turn:

4) do I use the bridged, NAT or host-only network setting using the
VMWare Player GUI?

5) Does it matter whether I use the Devices menu that appears once the
Sage_vmx has been opened or via an icon at the foot of the GUI when I
want to change betwen these networking types?

6) which of VMNet0, VMNet1 and VMNet8 does this network setting apply
to when I look at them in vmconfig.exe (or is the setting effectively
a choice between these three)?

7) if bridging is used, does this imply I must check that both ends of
the bridge are somehow set correctly? And if so, what should they be
set to and how would I check them?

8) Do I ever need to log in to Sage at the Sage login prompt after
running the "notebook" command if I'm only trying to run Sage ina
browser in all three of these scenarios?

9) Is there a way of telling when I've already run the "notebook"
command so that I don't run it again?

For the standaolne and LAN-connected sceanrios above I'm using VMWare
Player v2.5.2 and Sage 3.4.1 on a Windows XP Pro laptop wirelessly
connected to a LAN with no firewall on the laptop (but a firewall
protecting the LAN exit to the Internet but that's on another box).

I've given up trying the multi-access server for now and the spec for
that machine may yet change. So let's assume at present that I'd try
to set scenario 3 up on a laptop with the same spec.

Sorry for the long list but I'm very confused and quite a lot of the
postings here suggest some of the settings are trivially created or
detected but my unfamiliarity with VMWare and Linux (once I get inside
VMWare) is puzzling the heck out of me. Maybe this is a chance to pull
this networking information into one place. Or is it already located
somewhere and I've yet to find it? My apoloigies if it is.

Thanks

Kevin