On May 16, 2:32 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM, kilucas <kevin.lu...@concave.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm using the VMWare Player v2.5.2 and Sage 3.4.1 on a LAN-connected
> > laptop with no firewall and am confused about how to reach the sage
> > command line.
>
> > If I run the VMWare Player from Windows, and use it to open sage_vmx
> > I'm offered a menu of 4 choices: notebook, off, manage, sage (which
> > says it's the option to reach the command, as I desire). If I type
> > "sage" (without using the "notebook" options first) lots of text
> > scrolls by, I see a brief message about the sage version and typing
> > notebook() to get a GUI, but then I'm returned to the 4 option menu
> > with a login prompt. Attempts to type mathematical expressions are
> > interpreted as attempts to login.
>
> > If I choose the "notebook" menu option (which returns me to the 4
> > option menu again) before typing "sage", I get the same effect.
>
> > So how should I reach the command line please or does any of this
> > signify a prob lem with my set up?
>
> The Sage binary evidently doesn't work at all on your computer, perhaps
> because
> it may be built with optimizations that your computer's CPU doesn't provide.
> If you do:
>
>   login: login
>
> then type "sage" at the prompt, you'll probably get an error message,
> and if you read
> it, then it will probably explain that the Sage binary is too
> optimized for your computers
> architecture.
>
> You'll have to wait until we produce a less optimized binary (it's on
> the todo list), or you'll have to build
> one yourself for now.  Alternatively of course, you can always
> usehttp://sagenb.org.

William

Thanks for the guidance - I'm certainly beginning to wonder if some
combination of my implemenattion, sage and my brain is incompatible
here ;-)

Just before I give up can I just check I'm trying your experiment
above correctly. When you say "login: login" is that the same as
typing "login" at the "sage login:" prompt below the 4 menu options
(notebook, off, manage, sage)?

And when you say to type "sage" at the prompt, I've presumed you mean
that I type "sage" in response to the subsequent password request. Is
that correct?

If I do this I don't get the compatibility warning that you mention.
Instead I get:

A line begining "Linux sage 2.6.17-12-386 ..."
A paragraph about programs in Ubuntu being free software.
A reminder there is absoluetly no warranty
A prompt that says "lo...@sage :~$"

Does this suggest my problems are not caused by a CPU incompatibility
problem? (I quite accept that my brain may remain an insurmountable
obstacle ;-))

Thanks
Kevin