On May 16, 2:32 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:01 AM, kilucas <kevin.lu...@concave.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm using the VMWare Player v2.5.2 and Sage 3.4.1 on a LAN-connected
> > laptop with no firewall and am confused about how to reach the sage
> > command line.
>
> > If I run the VMWare Player from Windows, and use it to open sage_vmx
> > I'm offered a menu of 4 choices: notebook, off, manage, sage (which
> > says it's the option to reach the command, as I desire). If I type
> > "sage" (without using the "notebook" options first) lots of text
> > scrolls by, I see a brief message about the sage version and typing
> > notebook() to get a GUI, but then I'm returned to the 4 option menu
> > with a login prompt. Attempts to type mathematical expressions are
> > interpreted as attempts to login.
>
> > If I choose the "notebook" menu option (which returns me to the 4
> > option menu again) before typing "sage", I get the same effect.
>
> > So how should I reach the command line please or does any of this
> > signify a prob lem with my set up?
>
> The Sage binary evidently doesn't work at all on your computer, perhaps
> because
> it may be built with optimizations that your computer's CPU doesn't provide.
> If you do:
>
>   login: login
>
> then type "sage" at the prompt, you'll probably get an error message,
> and if you read
> it, then it will probably explain that the Sage binary is too
> optimized for your computers
> architecture.
>
> You'll have to wait until we produce a less optimized binary (it's on
> the todo list), or you'll have to build
> one yourself for now.

William

Does your reference to self build mean that, if I can compile the
source on my Windows PC, I should end up with a binary compatible with
my PC?

And am I correct that this would be executed on my PC directly with no
need for, but also without the secuirity benefits of, the VMWare
Player?

Thanks
Kevin
Alternatively of course, you can always usehttp://sagenb.org.