Dear kcrisman,

I think it would be enough to give an example in the tutorial or in
the output of "plot3d?". Even more, an example gives kind of a smooth
lesson in how really to use the 3dplotting and the ".imag()" or the
".real()" command at the same time. Starting from Jason's examples I
did all I wanted to and even more and I am beginning to understand
plotting. Examples are better than new commands, because they are way
more flexible and they make you play around. Perhaps it would be nice
for the user to find an example how to plot graphs like these

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ModifiedBesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html

in the outputs of "bessel_X?". In this case I succeded in generating
some pictures, but they don't look like the ones in mathworld. (But I
am not asking for support in this respect.)

One thing I am missing (or simply not understanding) is 3dplotting
without automatically scaled up range of the function value. Jmol and
Sage seem to try to plot the whole graph even at singularities, then
give up (at a level I don't know how to fix) but leave the picture
with the scaled up value range. Use the link above to see what I mean
would be useful sometimes. There the value range is simply cut at some
point. In the german wikipedia article on the exponential funcion it
is done in a similar way by Maple and the whole picture is scaled
equal in all dimensions. But I am going to make a new support question
out of that.

Thanks a lot.

Yours, littlemathteacher