Nicholas,

Its possible that Axiom's XPOLY non-commutative polynomial domain
might be of some help. E.g.

sage: x=axiom('x::XDistributedPolynomial(Symbol,Integer)')
sage: y=axiom('y::XDistributedPolynomial(Symbol,Integer)')
sage: z=axiom('z::XDistributedPolynomial(Symbol,Integer)')
sage: p=2*x*y*z
sage: q=z*x*y+3*z
sage: pq=p*q
sage: pq

        2         2
  6x y z  + 2x y z x y

sage: pq.leadingCoefficient()
2

sage: pq.leadingMonomial()

       2
  x y z x y

sage: pq.reductum()

        2
  6x y z

But note that XPOLY does not allow negative exponents and you would
have to build the derivative operations.

Implementing non-commutative Laurent polynomials in Axiom/FriCAS would
not be difficult (There is already a commutative Laurent polynomial
domain which can serve as a model.)  Adding free derivatives would be
a little more involved. If you are at all interested, please let me
know.

In any case, XPOLY might serve as a starting point for something
similar in Sage.

Regards,
Bill Page.