On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 8:40 AM, tmbdev <tmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sage supports all sorts of "external" tools, like R and Octave.
>
> I would like to be able to use the installed version of Python with
> the Sage notebook interface (in place of its built-in one).  The
> reason is that we have a lot of local packages installed that we can't
> reinstall within Sage.
>
> So, what about adding "system-python" as another choice under the
> tools menu, in addition to "python"?

As a test, you can get this behavior right now as follows.

1. Execute the following in an input cell:

S = Sage(python=True, preparse=False)
S._Expect__command = "sage-native-execute /usr/bin/python -u"
python = S

2. Then select "python" from the list of systems.

A similar trick should work for using the system-wide GAP...  it might
be this (not tested):

G = Gap()
G._Expect__command = "/usr/local/bin/gap -r -b -p -T -o 9999G
/Users/wstein/s/data//extcode/gap/sage.g"
gap = G

 -- William