On Dec 24, 8:13 am, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  Here are some concerns.

> 1. Give the assumption it wants.  It mentions this in the error message
> (right above the question).

Students in first semester calculus will not appreciate having to add
the "assume" command. It will turn them away, especially since the
assumption seem obvious (since they encounter this right after
learning how to optimize and draw functions).

> 2. Use nintegrate, which uses numerical integration techniques.
>
> sage: (sec(x)*tan(x)).nintegrate(x,0,pi/3)
> (0.99999999999999956, 5.3650863533076041e-12, 21, 0)
>
> ***NOTE FOR DEVELOPERS*** Why is nintegrate/nintegral not in the
> top-level commands???

I would love to see nintegrate be a top-level command. If it were at
the top level, then i would tell my students, "Any time you encounter
an error with the integrate command, just add an "n" to the front of
it and hit enter again."

Is it simple to make nintegrate a top-level command? I would still
like to see Sage be able to utilize Maxima to integrate trig functions
without adding redundant assumptions, but having nintegrate as a top
level command would greatly help students. Having to switch from
integrate(f,x,a,b) to f.nintegrate(x,a,b) is not a simple obvious
switch for beginning students.

Thanks for the feedback. Should this thread be moved to the developer
group to add nintegrate as a top-level command?
Merry Christmas all,

Ben