Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu> writes:

> Sage has an input form as well:
>
> sage: R.<t> = QQ[]
> sage: sage_input(t^3-t)
> R.<t> = QQ[]
> t^3 - t
>
> sage: R.<t> = GF(101)[]
> sage: sage_input(random_matrix(ZZ, 2, 2) + t)
> R.<t> = GF(101)[]
> matrix(R, [[t, 1], [96, t + 98]])

Oh, this is wonderful!

(ideally, i.e., for many types it is not implemented, but it's mostly a
triviality) we'd have something like

($elt (MyType myop) arg1 arg2 ...)

for

myop(arg1, arg2, ...)$MyType

Of course, since there may be several operations myop in MyType, the
types of arg1, arg2, etc. should be specified too.

>> I think we would need a FriCAS-SAGE programmer, who implements a
>> dictionary style translation between the two type systems.  But maybe
>> I'm too optimistic here...
>
> Well, I'm pretty sure there's not a FriCAS equivalent of every Sage
> type, and vice-versa, but even doing a little better would be very
> useful (right now, it doesn't do anything that's not just passing
> strings back and forth.

Exactly.

Martin