On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 12:17 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Well, the installation of optional SPKGs currently relies on the
>> > availability of a compiler. If you are happy with loosing optional SPKGs
>> > then you are right.
>>
>> > In theory one could introduce the concept of "binary SPKGs" (though I'd
>> > take a hard look at alternative, pre-written distribution mechanisms
>> > first).
>>
>> > Dag Sverre
>>
>> In addition, Cython doesn't work at all without a compiler.  It's very
>> reasonable that Sage end users would use Cython with Sage, and for
>> this they need a compiler.   The tight integration of Sage and Cython
>> (e.g., %cython mode in the notebook) is one of the "killer features"
>> of Sage, and it vanishes without a C compiler.
>>
>> We didn't used to ship GCC (or other tools) with Sage (via Cygwin) for
>> Windows, though maybe we should have.  We just shipped some relevant
>> DLL's.
>>
>> There are some weird and very painful Windows-inherited relocation
>> issues with Cygwin and dynamic loading of shared object libraries, by
>> the way, which do make things hard.  Maybe they aren't as bad these
>> days (I don't know).
>>
>> Anyway, Dima, thanks for sorting my position that a Cygwin port of
>> Sage would be very valuable indeed!

s/sorting/supporting

> William,
> You are welcome.
>
> IMHO, it might be more reasonable to require Cygwin with the right
> tools (gcc + cython + whatever else is needed) being pre-installed,
> than to package everything in one mega-bundle.
> (one could perhaps have a custom Cygwin installer, with right things
> selected, provided)

Possibly one can do all three, then find out what people demand by far the most:

   * self contained install (includes cygwin1.dll, etc.)
   * tar ball that gets extracted into an installed cygwin (like what
we distribute for linux)
   * a standard cygwin package that one installs via the cygwin
setup.exe program; e.g., singular is in there already.

> Although I understand that I touch upon a sensitive issue of packaging
> Sage in general... :)

We just want to minimize our work and the complexity of the problem.

> By the way, anything new about moving to the newest GAP version?

Somebody should post a new spkg.  Then I'll test it on Itanium and see
whether or not it works.  If not, then it doesn't go in, but we can at
least report the problem again to the GAP list.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics