On 11 aug, 23:45, Alex Ghitza <aghi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:02:03 -0700 (PDT), Rolandb <rola...@planet.nl> wrote:
> > But there is a difference with (for instance) Sage 4.1.
> > With Sage 4.1 I could change the memory allocation via the option VM
> > Settings.
>
> > With Sage 4.5.2. the allocation is only 512Mb, and can't be changed.
> > Any solution at hand? Thanks in advance!
>
> Here is a little experiment I ran: I just tried to change the RAM
> allocation for the latest vmware image, and could not.  At the top of
> the corresponding settings window, vmware tells me: "Disabled items
> cannot be changed until the virtual machine is powered off.  To make
> these changes, first resume the virtual machine and then shut it down."
>
> In other words, one cannot change the RAM allocation for a virtual
> machine that is currently running or suspended, but only for machines
> that are powered off.  I powered mine off and was able to change the
> settings.
>
> Best,
> Alex

Tnx Alex!

I suggest that the following guideline could be added to the
documentation (http://www.sagemath.org/mirror/win/README.txt):
* download VMware
  - please check around every three months whether there is a new
WMware version! Currently use version 3.1.
* start Sage
* If it works correctly, you see three icons: Sage notebook, Sage and
Terminal
  i) Start Sage notebook
  ii) you will see a web-address message like http://192.168.231.12x/.
Remember it!
      - if you do not see a web-address message, you can use Sage
within Ubuntu but you cannot use Sage in Windows

  Now do some quick tests, mainly to ensure that the system settings
are optimal.
  iii) Open the worksheet Test. Check whether all calculations and
graphics work properly and fast(!)
     - if no reaction: please notify sage-support with all the
information about your system, error messages et cetera
     - if graphics does not show up nicely: install missing software
and/or try different screen settings
     - if Sage is slow, please notify sage-support with all the
information about your system
  iv) Close the worksheet Test, close Sage notebook, close VMplayer
  v) Open VMplayer directly (search for VMplayer.exe)
      - You will see the virtual application Sage.
      - If you point to it, on the left screen you are able to change
the memory settings. Go for the max!
      - start Sage application (nothing else!), and minimize the
screen
      - start your web browser (Firefox 3.6 or better), and use the
address 192.168.231.12x
      - check Test again
The Sage world is yours!

When a release is made, the above steps should be tested.

* The main reason for the extra steps is that VMplayer now allows a
different memory allocation per application, but standard is 512MB.

If I can contribute further, please let me know.

Roland