dear sage (and especially the linux and vm) community,

i'm  a complete noob to sage, linux, virtual machines, and
virtualbox.  i was able to get sage up and running on my windows vista
laptop with minor diffuculties and now sage is working great.

however, i'm looking to add more functionality to the ubuntu OS that
Sage is running on itself.  VirtualBox comes with a way to enhance
linux virtual machine guest OSes through their "vbox guest additions"
software.  my problem is when i go to install this software, the OS
tells me i need "administrative rights" and kicks me out.

my question is how do i change my rights to the sage's OS itself to
adminstrative? from a virtual machine?  this seems more like a linux,
maybe a vbox or vm, issue to me and i am asking in all the forums i
can find.  but i think that maybe it's just the special version of the
ubuntu os that sage working over?

Thanks for all the help in advance!
-Seb

ps: i don't mind if you explain things to me like a 3-year-old.  in
fact, i'd prefer it.