Hi

Mathematica is touring South Africa.
http://www.wolfram.com/events/southafrica2010/
I expect their presentation to be very professional.

Reviving an old topic since Mathematica is visiting our Free Software supporting
institute www.aims.ac.za on Monday. It happens to be the first day of a 3-week
course on SAGE! I would like to send the students some articles to read and to
be informed on my main objections

* proprietary software in general, and blackbox routines for
scientific/research/academic use specifically
http://sagemath.blogspot.com/2010/08/overflow.html

* the price of the software
http://www.wolfram.com/events/southafrica2010/
$139.95 even for students. I'm not sure I can convey
how astronomical that amount to almost all African
students. Worse, when they want to start a small
business after completing their studies, the price
jumps more than tenfold.

* vendor lock-in in general, specifically in scientific research
http://www.arachnoid.com/sage/

* the controversial Mr Wolfram as a scientific role model
http://chem.tufts.edu/science/Shermer/E-Skeptic/SkepticsOnWolfram.html

* the technical comparisons, for those who discard ethical issues
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/7fe76a4025f7ac56/06a803e9bf060ad3?lnk=gst&q=mathematica+elements#06a803e9bf060ad3

Does anyone have anything to add, especially updating the last point
above, as the blistering speed of SAGE development surely have solved
some of those weaknesses. I find the plotting perfectly adequate.

regards,
Jan
--
   .~.