I might shy away from any personal attacks on Stephen Wolfram, despite
controversy as him as a scientist. This should be about comparing sage
and Mathematica, not the people behind them.

One thing that is a natural advantage for me is the ability to not
only use all the packages included in sage, but any python package. I
find myself using sage to scrape, reconfigure and analyze large pieces
of data from a variety of sources. Python makes this easy. Because
there are so many python modules, it is very likely there is one that
does what I need. If not I can code it (usually relying on other
modules), and release it as its own module, building the number of
things that can be done quickly with python and sage. And as far as
scientific computation, if there isn't a python module that does what
I need (that is not included in sage) there is certainly an R package
that will.

Sage is not only good for mathematical research, but any scientific
and engineering research, just because of the huge number available
packages to use in python. I can't say I think the same is true with
mathematica.

Ben