Hi Andrew,

On 12 Okt., 15:19, andrew ewart <aewartma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> i think its just reffering to vector space dimension
> I have no idea what the Krull dimension of this space is
> Also if i try lex in QQ the grobner basis i get out is
> [x + y + z - 3, y^2 + y*z - 3*y + z^2 - 3*z + 2, z^3 - 3*z^2 + 2*z +
> 2/3]

My guess about your notions is as follows:

By "size", you mean number of points. Hence, in order to make sense,
by "size of a variety", you mean "number of points of a zero-
dimensional variety". Let V be the variety and I the ideal (contained
in a polynomial ring P over a field K) defining V. Lets assume further
that V is defined over the algebraic closure of K (i.e., all
coefficients of the defining polynomials are in K, but the points of V
may live in a bigger field).

If this is the case, then let's summarise some results from
commutative algebra (hope I remember everything correctly, I have no
textbook handy...):
1. V is zero-dimensional if and only if I is of Krull dimension zero.
2. The dimension of P/I as a vector space over K is an upper bound for
the number of points of V.
3. If I is radical then the number of points of V is equal to the
vector space dimension of P/I (which is often simply referred to as
the vector space dimension of I).
4. In order to compute the Krull or vector space dimension, one needs
a Groebner basis. But it is not needed to use a lex order. In many
cases, degrevlex is easier.

Hence, you could proceed as follows (of course, you could put the
computations into one line; printing intermediate results is just
illustration).

sage: P.<x,y,z> = QQ[]
sage: P.term_order()
Degree reverse lexicographic term order
sage: I = Ideal(x+y+z-3,x^2+y^2+z^2-5,x^3+y^3+z^3-7)
sage: IR = I.radical().groebner_basis()*P; IR
Ideal (z^3 - 3*z^2 + 2*z + 2/3, y^2 + y*z + z^2 - 3*y - 3*z + 2, x + y
+ z - 3) of Multivariate Polynomial Ring in x, y, z over Rational
Field
sage: IR.dimension()
0
sage: IR.vector_space_dimension()
6

Hence, over CC (the algebraic closure of QQ), the variety V defined by
contains precisely 6 points.

Cheers,
Simon