Hi Volker and lists,

I compiled Sage from v4.6's tar ball, and I had no trouble with this issue.
So the problem seems,  as you said, a mismatch of the environment on
which Sage-binary
is built and is ran. Thank you for your advice.

BTW, in this brand new binary, I had
{{{
sage: timeit('p=next_prime(1000); identity_matrix(p).det()')
5 loops, best of 3: 3.45 s per loop
}}}

It takes a bit longer than what I expected.

--
---
Iwao KIMURA