On Jan 21, 10:10 am, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Changing subject and moving to sage-support...

> > > This came up just a little while ago. SageTeX was part of TeXLive for
> > > just long enough to "infect" lots of Linux packages, and there's nothing
> > > we can do about it except wait for new TeXLive packages that don't
> > > include SageTeX to come out. It'll take years. :(
>
> > > Fortunately, I think you can put sagetex.sty in your personal texmf tree
> > > and TeX will use that version. You can also demand a particular version
> > > of sagetex.sty in your LaTeX file:
>
> > >     \usepackage{sagetex}[2010/10/20]
>
> > > or similar.
>
> > > In the meantime, there's now a mechanism in SageTeX to detect version
> > > mismatches, but that doesn't help with the above problem...
>
> > What I did is create a symbolic link from
> > ~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/sagetex to
> > ~/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/sagetex.  Then I always have ~/sage
> > point to my current version of sage.  That way whenever I upgrade, the
> > sagetex.sty file in my personal texmf tree is automatically upgraded,
> > since it was just a symbolic link to my sage install.
>
> Unfortunately, I use MacTeX/TeXLive, and so this doesn't quite work.
> I made a symbolic link
>
> ln -s /Applications/MathApps/sage/local/share/texmf/tex/generic/
> sagetex generic/sagetex
>
> but my tex still uses the sagetex in /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-
> dist/tex/latex/sagetex/sagetex.sty
>
> and I'm not supposed to mess with that directory.  Maybe if I put it
> in /texmf/tex/latex instead?  But that doesn't work either.
>
> Any ideas?

Jason wrote:

Did you regenerate your tex path list?  Try doing
$ sudo texhash
Then do
$ kpsewhich sagetex.sty
and make sure that the path it prints out is your user tex path.  For
example, I get:
$kpsewhich sagetex.sty
/Users/grout/Library/texmf/tex/generic/sagetex/sagetex.sty
Jason

new-host-2:~ $ sudo texhash
Password:
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-config/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-doc/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
new-host-2:~ $ kpsewhich sagetex.sty
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/sagetex/sagetex.sty

:-(

Something about how this is installed makes it harder to do this.  I
can probably install *new* packages as easily as on the FAQs, but
replacing this one seems to be a little harder.