On 3/18/11 5:11 PM, Tom Bensky wrote:
Dear sage community---

I want to set up a local sage server for my freshman physics students
to use.  I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and followed the directions at the
SageServer wiki and it worked just fine. Assuming my server is at
http://server.whatever, going to this URL would fire up sage just
fine, with apache proxies rerouting / to localhost:8000.

This installation, however, assumes that the document root of the web
server is where the installation should occur. The associated proxy
redirects essentially take over the whole web server--that is,
accessing other web services, like a wiki or some other php codes
becomes impossible.  I tried changing the proxies to reference
something like http://server.whatever/sage (that is, proxy redirect
/sage/ requests to localhost:8000). This works initially, but the css,
etc. was all missing. I fixed this with URL rewrites in
/sage/.htaccess, which edits the absolute references in the sage html
files. Things looked perfect now at http://server.whatever/sage, and
my other web services were available too.

The problem now is that all sage worksheets contain a red "Searching
for sage server..." and the worksheets become useless (i.e.
disconnected from the sage server). Likewise the javascript action of
deleting, etc. a worksheet are broken.  I am stuck here and cannot
find a solution to this problem.  Has anyone tried installing a sage
server into any web directory other that the root one?

There have been people that have discussed this before, but I can't find the links with a few minutes of searching. The conclusion (IIRC) was that a few judicious uses of the HTML base tag in the notebook html sources would hopefully take care of the issue: http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_base.asp

I thought someone even had a patch at one point, but I can't find it on trac either.

Jason