I'm no expert, but it seems to me that when you make your list
manually, you're throwing away all of the structure.  When you form a
subset of a field (or group, ring, etc), sage doesn't necessarily keep
track of the fact that you are making a subfield (ring, group, etc).

For example, if G is a group, and I want a specific subgroup, picking
out the elements I want and listing them isn't enough (even if they
*do* form a subgroup).  I need to fist make the list, say H, then use
G.subgroup(H), which will form the subgroup of G generated by the
elements listed in H.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, but I hope this has
helped.

Zach