I read in the help that heights have only been implemented for elliptic curves over the rationals. My research involves computing heights of algebraic points on elliptic curves and I have been using Magma for this.

A colleague of mine claimed that Sage could compute heights over number fields and demonstrated with example 2 from Siverman's 1988 paper*

I confirmed this on my Sage (version 4.6.2) and also successfully reproduced example 1.

Suitably encouraged, I attempted to compute some heights on E37b over a cyclic cubic extension and failed with error messages.

Is anyone working on implementing this functionality?
Can anyone explain why Silverman's examples work?

Best wishes,
                     Jack Fearnley

* Computing Heights on Elliptic Curves
Math. Comp. vol 51 No 183 (Jul 1988) pp 339-358
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2008597