> Can you post the logs from doing sage -python setup.py instasll, as well
> as explicit instructions (where to download, etc.) for how to duplicate
> the error?

Sure. It's rather long, but I suppose if it works it would be useful for
other people, too. I was hoping someone could spot the problem just from
the above description.

Anyway, here you go:

1) download ATLAS library --- I did use debian package
apt-get install libatlas-base-dev  --install-suggests
  but one can also download from the web-site
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/

  --> Now I discovered that sage has its own atlas libraries. Should I be
trying
   to build against them? Do I need to build sage from source to do this?

2) download http://www.coin-or.org/download/source/Csdp/Csdp-6.1.1.tgz
unzip and install using the instructions. This is straightforward process
make
make install

3) download
http://ifatwww.et.uni-magdeburg.de/syst/about_us/people/kern/downloads/pycsdp-0.10.zip
unzip, edit the setup.py to point to the Csdp library and includes, then run
python setup.py install as a root to install "to the system" .

To install to sage I tried
sage -python setup.py install
but I believe now that already here is a problem (or the problem?):
the installation using python finds the ATLAS library
  FOUND:
    libraries = ['lapack', 'ptf77blas', 'ptcblas', 'atlas']
    library_dirs = ['/usr/lib/atlas-base/atlas', '/usr/lib/atlas-base']
    language = f77
    include_dirs = ['/usr/include/atlas']

while sage-python doesn't find it. Instead, it complains about missing
directories
(full logs attached):

/data/local/sage-4.8-linux-32bit-ubuntu_10.04_lts-i686-Linux/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.
  UserWarning: Specified path /home/wstein/build/sage-4.8/local/lib is
invalid.
    warnings.warn('Specified path %s is invalid.' % d)

Is this a bug? What should I do to use my libraries instead of wstein's? :-)
Do I need to compile my sage, so that I can add stuff to it?

Thanks!
                                               Robert