I hope others try to answer as well, as I probably do not know enough to help you solve it.

2012-05-05 21:37, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen skrev:
   File
"/home/kjetil/sage/sage-5.0.rc0/devel/sagenb/sagenb/misc/misc.py", line
134, in find_next_available_port
         raise RuntimeError, "no available port."
     RuntimeError: no available port.

From looking at the file:

Sage loops through all ports in some interval, looking for one it can use, but does not find any. This is also the reason you fail to start the notebook, I would guess.

Do you use anything that may affect sage's ability to open ports?

sage -t  -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py"
File "/home/kjetil/sage/sage-5.0.rc0/devel/sage/sage/tests/cmdline.py",
line 314:
     sage: err
Expected:
''
Got:
'WARNING: Configuration file ipythonrc not found. Ignoring request.

Here, the test tries to start "./sage --ipython" and ask it to compute "3**33", but it warns about a configuration file missing. If you run "./sage --ipython", do you get a nice prompt where you can type 3**33?

On my wheezy:

johan@johan-laptop:~/Applications/sage-5.0.rc0$ ./sage --ipython
Python 2.7.2 (default, May  2 2012, 23:01:21)

?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: 3**33
Out[1]: 5559060566555523

In [2]:

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen