On Sunday, 13 May 2012 19:36:13 UTC+2, Robert Miller wrote:

> On Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:12:32 AM UTC-7, William wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Dima wrote:
>> > recently there was a post on sage-devel from Robert Miller (who wrote
>> > quite a bit of Sage code):
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sage-devel/Hz9tagOntyg/CZLpRcF8XAkJ
>> > soliciting job applications from Sage developers.
>> >
>> > So this is an example of Sage use in industry.
>>
>> Nowhere in the message does he say that they actually use Sage.    The
>> closest is  "We do the math, using a lot of open source Python
>> software  as well as our own secret sauce. We also make contributions
>> back to the tools we use, as we understand the importance of open
>> source."
>>

> Well spotted! In fact it's probably hard to classify in general. The full
> story: we don't use Sage in production, but we use several of its
> components, including atlas, numpy, scipy, R. I have made extensive use of
> Sage in prototyping things. In fact I've actually ported some of the Python
> 2.7 code we have to be compatible with 2.6 so that I can import our
> libraries in a Sage environment.

quid.com would neither confirm nor deny they use Sage :-)

> I think that Sage can be a very hard sell for sysadmin/ops type people in
> industry, because it is a very big install and the latest versions aren't
> available through debian or things like pip or easy_install. Although we
> here all realize that Sage Just Works, when someone in that sort of role
> looks at Sage as a project that might need to be installed on their
> production servers, they easily bristle. That's what happened at my job, so
> instead we are installing the pieces that we need individually (and again
> Sage was a big help as we consulted it a few times to fix
> compilation/linking issues that had already been solved in the Sage distro).

yeah, sysadmins tend to be PITAs. They have to justify their existence, so
they want to spend 10 times more time and effort to install and maintain a
part of Sage rather than using Sage as it is :-)
They even think that easy_install and pip and debian always work...