> There should be a page with *step-by-step instructions,* with
screenshots.  Each step that is necessary for the installation, is
necessary.  The more time consuming and unpleasant such documentation might
seem to be. . . well, the answer's in the question.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/sagemath/sage-mirror/win/index.html
has a pretty prominent link to http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance which
has a very early link to http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageApplianceInstallation
in reading order.

It is true, and I've suggested ideas before to Harald et al.,
that http://sagemath.org/download.html and various friends, putting the
mirrors first instead of what you will *do* at the mirrors, is not very
helpful.  As pointed out elsewhere, very concrete wording suggestions are
welcome.

>> You make an arbitrary choice.  You *pick* an editor, and a Tex
>> installation, and you make it part of SAGE, because SAGE can't display math
>> without it.
>>

> This is just not true. Sage can display most run-of-the-mill math without
> LaTeX, using jsMath (or in a release or two, MathJax).
>
> Other than that, my response to your diatribe is: rather than complain,
> write a patch which improves the documentation. Also, discussions like this
> belong on sage-devel, not sage-support.

Concur on where this discussion belongs.

A different response to the diatribe is to step back and note that although
it isn't perfect, Sage is a lot more accessible to the non-command-line set
than a lot of other FLOSS stuff (especially via things like sagenb.org),
and intentionally so.