Hi, David,

Thanks for your explanation about the minimize function in sage. I didn't
realize it's only for differentiable functions.

For the stuff regarding lattice, I think there may be some misunderstanding
here.

What I want is to find the minimum of a lattice.

A lattice L can be defined as

L={x=\lambda M| \lambda\in Z^m},

where M is the generator matrix of L and the gram matrix of L is equal to
MM^T.

The matrix
[1 2]
[3 4]
has determinant 4-2*3=-2, which is nonzero. Moreover, I use it as the generator
matrix for lattice, not the gram matrix. Thus I don't think it needs to be
symmetric or Hermitian.

As for the definition of minimum of a lattice, I assume it's defined for
all lattice, thus there should be no other restrictions on the generator
matrix (not gram matrix) except for it to be invertible.

According to the definition I found:

N(x)=x\cdot x=(x,x)=\sum x_i^2

for a vector x=(x_1,x_2,\dots,x_n) in a lattice and the minimum norm of
lattice L is

min{N(x): x\in L, x\neq  0}.

When I calculate Mv (M is the generator matrix and v is the vector (x,y)
with x,y both integers) I get a vector in L. Then I find the norm of Mv,
which is the norm of this vector in L.

What I need is the minimum of this value.

Did I get the wrong definition of the minimum of lattice?

Best Regards,
Cindy