I have a Xen Ubuntu Linux 1 Gb RAM virtual machine  from a provider called
Linode.

I am running a notebook server on that virtual machine for my classes...
even with only a handful of students hitting it
at the same time it slows to a crawl.

Is getting more RAM the only solution?  How much do you need for 10 people
to be able to hit the server all at the same time comfortably?

cs