On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Chris Seberino <cseber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Xen Ubuntu Linux 1 Gb RAM virtual machine  from a provider called
> Linode.

Linode charges $39.95/month for your 1GB machine.  For a 4GB machine,
which would be more likely to work well, you would have to pay
$159.95/month.

My plan with http://salv.us/ -- which I'm working hard on right now --
is to buy a bunch of hardware (mostly done), host it at UW, write much
better more efficient software to make Sage ("highly") available
through it, and provide enough guaranteed resources for a class like
you have... for *substantially* less than $159.95/month, since the
monthly hosting and network fees I have to pay at UW are super-cheap.

Stay tuned...

 -- William

> I am running a notebook server on that virtual machine for my classes...
> even with only a handful of students hitting it
> at the same time it slows to a crawl.
>
> Is getting more RAM the only solution?  How much do you need for 10 people
> to be able to hit the server all at the same time comfortably?
>
> cs
>

> On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:31:16 PM UTC-5, kcrisman wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:32:23 PM UTC-4, Chris Seberino wrote:
>>>
>>> Notebook server very slow.  What are typical bottlenecks? I have ver5.2
>>> and 1Gb RAM
>>>
>>> cs
>>

>> This is a little vague.  Do you mean on your own personal computer, or are
>> you trying to run a notebook server for others (e.g., students)?  It's
>> pretty likely that with more than a couple users, this would be too little
>> RAM.

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington