On Nov 3, 2012, at 19:24 , Peter Horn wrote:

> And the plot thickens.
>
> I found all files called "macaulay2.py" in the application
> "Sage-5.3-OSX-64bit-10.6.app" and removed the "-e" from line 180.

If you remove the "-e" (see my comment earlier in the thread) you may need to
remove the "stuff" that follows, since that is supposed to be a command to the
M2 program.  Can't say for sure what it does, but it might cause problems when
the line is given to a shell.

However, I don't think the "-e" is the problem.

> I restarted my computer.  Now I get the error:
>
> TypeError: Unable to start macaulay2 because the command 'M2 --no-debug
> --no-readline --silent 'ZZ#{Standard,Core#"private
> dictionary"#"InputPrompt"} = lineno -> "_EGAS_ :
> ";ZZ#{Standard,Core#"private dictionary"#"InputContinuationPrompt"} =
> lineno -> "_EGAS_ : ";printWidth = 0;lineNumber = 10^9;'' failed.
>

> Now I'm confused! I wonder if the other stuff (ZZ#{Standard etc) means
> anything.

It surely does; I suspect it has something to do with "3+3".

I tried what you mentioned in your original post, and it worked (Mac OS X,
10.6.8).  Perhaps the M2 interpreter is not in your default path.  I know you
can run it from the command line, but you don't say how you do that.

Try this (assuming you don't have it set up similarly): make a symbolic link
from your M2 interpreter to /usr/bin (you may have to do this as root, e.g.,
with "sudo"):

$ ln -s /path/to/M2 /usr/bin/M2

and then try again.  I don't think you have to restart your browser, but if it
doesn't work, do that and try again.

HTH

Justin

--