So, the setup() function in Macaulay2 (version 1.4, when I answered YES to
all questions) broke my sudo.  It changed something in the DYLD
path/environment/library or something.  I got this "dyld: DYLD_ environment
variables being ignored because main executable (/usr/bin/sudo) is setuid
or setgid".

Now, I completely uninstalled Macaulay2, including removing a bunch of
 files in my home directory beginning with .  Then I put a symbolic link to
M2 in my /usr/bin.  Then I put back the -e that was in the macaulay2.py
files inside of Sage.

Now, macaulay2(2+2) returns 4 with no error.

Thank you everybody!

By the way, there is a confusing discussion in Apple's support website
about the dyld thing.