I am very keen to help - my problem is utter incompetence at following the
high-level instructions in the manual for developers. Also I am on the VM
and I cannot access the sage directories directly. Is there a way you could
send me a manual file that I could modify and send back to you? Sorry :( I
promise I will learn this one day ...

the page I was referring to is
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/numerical/sage/numerical/optimize.html#sage.numerical.optimize.minimize

Also there are presumably many functions to which this syntax difference
applies ... how can I find them?

Thanks!