On 04/18/2013 03:13 AM, Gary McConnell wrote:
I am very keen to help - my problem is utter incompetence at following
the high-level instructions in the manual for developers. Also I am on
the VM and I cannot access the sage directories directly. Is there a way
you could send me a manual file that I could modify and send back to
you? Sorry :( I promise I will learn this one day ...

the page I was referring to is
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/numerical/sage/numerical/optimize.html#sage.numerical.optimize.minimize

Also there are presumably many functions to which this syntax difference
applies ... how can I find them?

Thanks!

I failed to notice this reply earlier.

I think it is better if you can submit a patch to trac. The patch is generated by mercurial and it can automatically populate the author attribution and other information. These information is used by a patchbot that automatically tests the patches for validity and performs other tests.

To generate the patch, you can either install the sage library code.

If you don't want to install the sage from source, you can download the sage spkg and work with that. This is OK since you intend to do only documentation changes. In this case, follow the steps below:

1. download the sage spkg from http://www.sagemath.org/packages/standard/sage-5.8.spkg
This contains the source code.

2. Create a file in $HOME/.hgrc containing your name as mentioned here:
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_patches.html

3. Open a ticket in trac so that you can get the ticket number. Let's say the number is 12345.

4. Use the inbuilt mercurial inside Sage to create the patch.
 i) First change directory to the unpacked sage/sage directory
ii) Next, run the command (where /path/to/sage is where the sage script is present and 12345 is the ticket number)
/path/to/sage -hg qnew 12345_documentation.patch
iii) Hack hack hack and make your changes :)
You will need to follow the developer documentation for syntax and formatting.
iv) Now that you are satisfied with your changes, run
/path/to/sage -hg qref -m "a one line description of your changes"
v) Make hg generate the patch:
/path/to/sage -hg export qtip > ~/$(/path/to/sage -hg qtop)

Hopefully, this procedure will become much simpler after the move to git, since trivial changes can be made directly in github (if the project remains hosted in github).